The following is based on The Victoria History of Lancashire, Volume 3 pages 341 - 413. Published 1907.
The ancient parish of Prescot was very extensive, comprising fifteen townships and having a total area of 37,211 acres. The Township of Prescot was the smallest of these townships.
From early times, however, the southern half of the parish was considered a separate chapelry, with Farnworth as centre, from it, at the beginning of the eighteenth century, Great Sankey was cut off to form a chapelry by itself.