The usual fortnightly meeting of the guardians was held at the Workhouse, Whiston, on Thursday, Mr S Marsh in the chair.

Guardians present
  • W Tyrer, Prescot
  • G J Paris, Huyton
  • J Ball, Parr
  • W Stockley, Rainford
  • S Rowe. Hale
  • P Longton, Cronton
  • W Morton, Windle
  • E Birch, Much Woolton
  • J Tuson, Much Woolton
  • J Garton, Sutton
  • W Birchall, Windle
  • J Ranson, Eccleston
  • J Fidler, Eccleston
  • W Smith, Halewood
  • J Birchall, Sutton
  • E Syder, Knowsley
  • R Kent, Widnes
  • J Whalley, Rainford
  • R Barrow, Widnes
  • J T Hall, Prescot
  • P Longton, Ditton
  • J Scotson, Little Woolton
  • R Brown, Huyton
  • J Billinge, Parr
  • W Acton, Rainhill
  • R Leigh, Speke
  • J Carlile, Widnes
  • T Johnson, Bold
  • C Willcock, Sutton
  • J Penketh, Eccleston
  • J Kenwright, Tarbock
  • W Evans, Whiston


When doctors diagree, etc

A. letter, dated Local Government Office, Whitehall, 11th November, was read, in which the said board, adverting to sec. 3 of the Vaccination Act, stated that they had been unable to find the name of Mr Booth, who had been appointed by the guardian. deputy to Mr Greenup for vaccination purposes to the Farnworth district, in the Medical Register for 1875, and asking whether Mr Booth had been registered as a medical practitioner ; also whether he had produced to the guardians the special certificate of proficiency in vaccination required by the Regulations of December, 1869.

A letter from Mr Booth was also read, in which the writer said he was a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, and offered to show his diploma. He had not registered yet, but was on the point of going up for his MRCP degree, and intended to register both at once.

Registering simply meant running up to London and paying five guineas.

He enclosed certificats in reference to vaccination, as required.

Mr Martin informed the board that Dr Greenup died on Tuesday, and that Mr Booth had complained of the difficulty placed in his way in reference to the vaccination station at Widnes.

The late Dr Greenup had rented the use of Dr Ricketts' surgery, but Dr Ricketts refused to allow it any longer for that purpose, and had expressed himself very strongly upon the subject. The difficulty, said the speaker, was that a month's notice was required before the time or place of vaccination could be changed.

M. Barrow said he told Mr Booth that a month's notice must be given to the public before parties could be sent elsewhere for vaccination purposes. He had heard that in consequence of Dr Greenup's death there was already another candidate in the field.

He begged to move that the clerk be instructed to write to Dr Ricketts, saying that Mr Booth must vaccinate in his ourgery until the month's notice had been given, in accordance with the Act of Parliament.

Mr Kent seconded the motion. Mr Tyrer moved an amendment to the effect that Mr Booth be requested to carry out the requirements of the Vaccination Act as hitherto until proper notice haul been given. Mr Birchen seconded. He thought the guardians had nothing to do with the matter further than to see that vaccination officers found some place for people to go to. The amendment was agreed to.

The Clerk explained that the question of Mr Booth's qualification would be easily got over. It was one which the board need not trouble themselves about.

Increase of salary

A letter from the Local Government Board was read, approving of the proposed increase of the salary of Mr J G Dunn, assistant overseer of Ecleston, to £135 per annum .

The apportionment to be Eccleston to pay £100, and Knowsley £35.

Remuneration of vaccination officers

A letter from the Local Government Board was read, sanctioning the proposed increase of the remuneration of vaccination officers in the urban portions of the union from 3d to 4d, and in the rural portions from 4d. to 6d in respect of each case of successful vaccination, on the Board being furnished with a statement of the names of the officers and the districts for which they act.

Water supply

The Chairman, in reference to an arrangement between the Board and Mr W Longton for the supply of water to the workhouse, said the matter had been left to Mr 'I'yrer, on behalf of the Board, to make an agreement with Mr Longton's solicitor, and in the agreement it was proposed to stipulate for a daily supply of not leas than 10,000 gallons, but he (the chairman) would remind the hoard that he had found their average consumption for the last three years only reached about 4,000 gallons, aml by increasing the sup ply to 10,000 the cost would be raised to £170.

On the other hand, if they took only 4,000 gallons,there would be a saving of about £100.

The Clerk submitted a statement showing that the average cost of water for the last three years was £46 per year.

The Clerk asked if the board would take 5,000 gallons, and if so, for what term.

Mr Barrow approved of 5,000 gallons being the quantity, and ultimately it was agreed to, for a term of three years.

Workhouse improvements

A letter from the Local Government Board, dated November 23, was read, approving the plans prepared by Messrs CuIshaw and Sons, the architecs, for the proposed alterations and additions at the workhouse, subject to certain accompanying modification of matters of detail.

The proposed conference of Guardians

Mr Tyrer was appointed the representative of the Prescot Board at the forthcoming conference of guardians to be held at Southprt on the 8th and 9th Dec., to consider the Poor Laws and their Administration."

Complaint against guardians

A letter fn. the Rev J P Whittle, Roman Catholic priest was read, complaining of the conduct of Mr Birch and Mr Tuson, guarlians for WooIton.

The complaint against Mr Birch was that an old man, a pauper, named John Kearney, died at the home of a Mrs Finn in Woolton without friends.

Mrs Finn herself was poor and not strong, and when she applied to Mr Birch in reference to the internment of the old man he said he would provide a coffin and nothing more.

She wanted something for the bearers, and he told her she might go to the priest and to some of the good catholics.

The consequence of the refusal was that the corpse was kept in the house longer than it ought and the woman had to go begging.

With regard Mr Tuson, on the 22nd a young woman died who had been ill for several weeks, and her having a large family had not the means bury her.

Mr Tuson would allow nothing in that case. Ht told the man to go to his priest.

The relieving officer, however, did his duty. 

Mr.Birch, entered into an explanation to the effect that he told the woman he would do all he could for her, but asked incidentally if the old man had no friends who would bear him to the grave.

The story had been overdrawn as Mr Birch went on to show.

Mr Tuson did not reply, and the general feeling of the guardians seemed to be that everything had been done that could legally be done under the circum-stances.

Mr P Longton said he always found it beet in such cases to refer the parties at once to the relieving officer, however far he was away, with a note saying Please attend to this case as on as possible. (Hear hear.)

This concluded the business.

The sanitary Authority

 At the usual meeting of this authority, held after the guardian meeting, it was difficult to muster  a quorum, and the business was altogether devoid of public interest.